ANNUAL GATHERING 2017
The Gathering We are excited to announce this year’s theme—RISE! It is a testimony of our resilience and our will to move forward on the shoulders of our rich NIA legacy. Fate has already shown us that continuation of The Gathering is our destiny, as reflected by the enormous amount of support and investment by Sistahs and supporters nationwide, through verbal and financial donations. We are truly grateful for these acts of love and commitment to keep NIA alive.
The 2017 Gathering will be held at Walker Creek Ranch in Petaluma, CA November 17-19 2017. The new national NIA board members are calling on The Sistahood for your help with increasing attendance at this and future gatherings. We would like for you to assist with making NIA more visible and with a more intergenerational presence of elders and youth. Feel free to ask any of the board members for assistance with raising awareness and funds for The Gathering, and please support the fundraisers in your area. Don’t forget about the Early Bird Registration from July 1-August 10th .
OUR PURPOSE | VISION & MISSION
To Collectively build a network through self-definition, self acceptance and acceptance of each other as
lesbians, as people of African descent and as women. We relentlessly strive to provide a safe space for
inter generational spiritual enrichment and empowerment for the LGBTQ community.
We envision meeting the needs of lesbians of African descent throughout the year by fully committing
to excellence in social, political, educational and spiritual participation within our community. We
encourage allies of NIA to collaborate, sponsor, and participate in all of our events.
NIA is our valuable, precious gem, something we can call OURS. Won’t you please consider a Donation to ensure that our next generation is able to benefit from what we have had in NIA?
2017 BOARD MEMBERS
Dr. Kofi Adoma, Detroit, MI
Janis Hutchinson, Houston, TX
Sherry Dowds, Las Vegas, NV: Vice President
Brandy Jones, San Rafael, CA: Treasurer
Aleta Alston-Toure’, Vallejo CA
Kibibi Rose, Atlanta, GA
Dorothy Randall-Gray, Los Angeles, CA
Tolanda McKinney, Moreno Valley, CA: President
Thank You NIA Board Members, for standing in your NIA truth to ensure that the Gathering and the Collective continues. And Thank You NIA Sistahs, Supporters, and Friends for your years of loyalty, support, and devotion. Collectively, we can keep the spirit of Nia alive.
Tolanda McKinney NIA President & so we “RISE”
It is our mission to maintain the following principles at NIA so that we stay true to our vision:
- To promote love, honor, solidarity, and integrity among Lesbians of African descent, in our communities and in our society;
- To produce and provide an annual egalitarian retreat or gathering to affirm the existence of Lesbians of African Descent through a spiritual, social, and educational milieu;
- To offer community-based outreach which encompasses networking opportunities, social and cultural events and economic awareness for Lesbians of African Descent;
- To provide support for Lesbians of African Descent of all ages to foster self-esteem, visibility, self-acceptance and empowerment;
- To encourage and nurture educational assistance through mentoring and scholarships for Lesbians of African Descent; and to aid in fostering personal and professional enrichment.