Providing a safe space for intergenerational spiritual enrichment and empowerment for the LGBTQ community.
NIA Collective was created by and for Lesbians of African descent. The organization was founded in 1987 during the Black Caucus at the Lesbian of Color Conference in San Francisco. The word “NIA” was chosen for its meaning, purpose, in the Swahili language. African Americans are familiar with the term as the fifth principle of Kwanzaa, the Winter Harvest celebration.
The “purpose” of NIA Collective is to collectively build a network through self-definition, self-acceptance and acceptance of each other as lesbians, as people of African descent and as women.
The NIA Collective’s main project has been an annual gathering. Recently we have enlarged our vision and our scope to meet the needs of lesbians of African descent throughout the year. We are committed to excellent social, political, educational and spiritual health for us all! We encourage allies to collaborate, sponsor, and participate in all of our events except for the Gathering.
Statement of Purpose
- To promote love, honor, solidarity, and integrity among Lesbians of African descent, in our communities and in our society;
- To produce and provide an annual egalitarian retreat or gathering to affirm the existence of Lesbians of African Descent through a spiritual, social, and educational milieu;
- To offer community-based outreach which encompasses networking opportunities, social and cultural events and economic awareness for Lesbians of African Descent;
- To provide support for Lesbians of African Descent of all ages to foster self-esteem, visibility, self acceptance and empowerment;
- To encourage and nurture educational assistance through mentoring and scholarships for Lesbians of African Descent; and to aid in fostering personal and professional enrichment.
Ache’ My Sistahs
Curious about our work? View past events here!
Post Office Box 10863
Oakland, CA 94610-0863
Main email: niaboard[at]niacollective.org
Our President: president[at]niacollective.org
Our Vice President: vp[at]niacollective.org
Our Treasurer: treasurer[at]niacollective.org
Our Secretary: secretary[at]niacollective.org
Main phone number (for questions about contributions, membership and outreach):
You may also contact us using the form below.