NIA COLLECTIVE | SINCE 1987
HELPING TO EMPOWER LESBIANS OF AFRICAN DESCENT
NIA Collective was created by and for Lesbians of African descent. The organization was founded in 1987
during the Black Caucus at the Lesbian of Color Conference in San Francisco. The word “NIA” was
chosen for its meaning, purpose, in the Swahili language. African Americans are familiar with the term
as the fifth principle of Kwanzaa, the Winter Harvest celebration.
OUR PURPOSE | VISION & MISSION
To Collectively build a network through self-definition, self acceptance and acceptance of each other as
lesbians, as people of African descent and as women. We relentlessly strive to provide a safe space for
intergenerational spiritual enrichment and empowerment for the LGBTQ community.
We envision meeting the needs of lesbians of African descent throughout the year by fully commiting
to excellence in social, political, educational and spiritual participation within our community. We
encourage allies of NIA to collaborate, sponsor, and participate in all of our events.
It is our mission to maintain the following principles at NIA so that we stay true to our vision:
- To promote love, honor, solidarity, and integrity among Lesbians of African descent, in our communities and in our society;
- To produce and provide an annual egalitarian retreat or gathering to affirm the existence of Lesbians of African Descent through a spiritual, social, and educational milieu;
- To offer community-based outreach which encompasses networking opportunities, social and cultural events and economic awareness for Lesbians of African Descent;
- To provide support for Lesbians of African Descent of all ages to foster self-esteem, visibility, self-acceptance and empowerment;
- To encourage and nurture educational assistance through mentoring and scholarships for Lesbians of African Descent; and to aid in fostering personal and professional enrichment.
Brandy Jones, President
Stacy Reed, Vice President
Dilcie Paschall, Treasurer
Karlene Haddon, Secretary
Mwamba Blakwomyn, Program Director
Wendy Herndon, Assistant Program Director
Mar Stevens, Activity Coordinator
Chanda Daniels, Event Coordinator
Carolyn Wysinger, Marketing Coordinator
Post Office Box 10863
Oakland, CA 94610-0863
Main email: niaboard[at]niacollective.org
Our President: president[at]niacollective.org
Our Vice President: vp[at]niacollective.org
Our Treasurer: treasurer[at]niacollective.org
Our Secretary: secretary[at]niacollective.org
Main phone number (for questions about contributions, membership and outreach):
You may also contact us using the form below.